Sunday, September 14, 2014

Trying the turnips

I can't remember the last time I ate turnips, if ever. I checked out allrecipes.com to find a good turnip recipe to start us off on the right foot. I knew if Bert didn't like the first bite of turnip, it would be an uphill battle to get him to eat another.

I used this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Thanksgiving-Day-Creamed-Turnips/Detail.aspx

I am not sure of the size changes for turnips, but I chose the largest one in my bunch. I should have weighed it out first. I peeled and diced and boiled. I made the roux and blended the turnips with the roux and ate it up!  The turnip has a good flavor raw (I ate a few pieces before cooking) and is good in the recipe. The recipe calls for sugar, which I added this time, but will probably leave out next time. There was a lot of sauce, so probably could prepare 1/2 as much sauce next time.

I hear turnips do not reheat well, so Bert and I had to split this recipe... and now we'll have sushi for lunch. Odd combo, I know. But, I wanted to try the turnips before I picked up my next CSA box.

The brookies got rave reviews at the party. Not sure how the middle pieces turned out, but the edge pieces were tasty (and crunchy like a brownie edge).

I also bought a new 9x13 pan yesterday! So next time I can make the brookies without burning the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment