Monday, September 8, 2014

Chicken Broccoli Casserole

For this recipe, I took inspiration from a few different recipes on allrecipes.com.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Broccoli-Chicken-Divan/Detail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Divan/Detail.aspx

Bert sauteed about 1 pound of chicken tenders, cubed. I steamed 1 medium head of fresh broccoli (cut into pieces) for about 5minutes or so, but I think the "or so" was a little too long. I layered the broccoli into an 11x7 glass Pyrex. The chicken was seasoned with salt and pepper and layered into the dish. Then I mixed 1 can of cream of broccoli soup with about 1/2 can of fat free milk and some curry. I poured/distributed the soup over the chicken and broccoli. I sprinkled low fat Mexican cheese blend on the top, then some breadcrumbs (plain).  Maybe I should have mixed melted butter with the breadcrumbs to add some color to the dish. I baked in the oven for 30minutes at 350degrees.

I liked the casserole. Bert did not care for it. He thought there was too much broccoli, but he also didn't realize there was curry in it, which was the most prominent flavor, so we are still not really sure what he didn't like about the dish.

We served this with steamed corn the first night and roasted potatoes the second night. If we didn't have either, you could probably add more water to the dish with instant rice to make a complete casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment