Sunday, September 28, 2014

butternut squash risotto

I had two butternut squash sitting on my counter, staring at me. Eventually I was going to need to cut them up, so I chose to do that this morning while Bert was golfing. The alternative was take-out for lunch.

Butternut Squash Risotto
1/2 butternut squash, peeled, diced
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
Salt
pepper
Chili powder
1 small onion, diced
2 tablespoon of butter
1 cup Arborio Rice (Risotto)
4 cups chicken stock (probably)

Parmesan cheese
Parsley
I melted the butter and stirred with the olive oil, then added the squash and seasoning. I stirred this until the squash was tender. I put this aside on another plate. You can also prepare the squash by steaming on the stove top. One recipe said to mash the squash once cooked. I kept it in diced form.

I warmed 2 TBS of butter and added my onion. I stirred this for 2 minutes, then added the rice. I stirred the rice for about 1-2 minutes, then I started to add the stock. I had warmed the stock on another burner. I transferred warm stock to my risotto, about two to three ladles worth at a time. Each time I added stock, I stirred until the stock had been absorbed before adding more. After about 3 cups, I was getting hungry so I tasted the rice. It had a good consistency so I stopped there. Yummy!

I turned the heat down and covered until Bert arrived home, about 8 minutes later. You can serve with cheese and parsley. I forgot both but the recipes still tasted good.

Bert thought the recipe had cream in it because it was so creamy! The recipe probably took 90minutes to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment