Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Stuffed winter squash

We made stuffed winter squash last night.
Recipe was provided by Stillman's Farm, but they haven't posted the recipe yet.

Yummy squash recipe (makes 4 large servings)
1 winter squash (I used carnival, provided by CSA)
1 small onion
2/3cup apple juice
1/4 cup dried currants
1 tablespoon curry
2 apples, pared, cored, diced (I used Jonamacs which I had on hand, the original recipe calls for Granny Smith).

Soften the onion in a 1 tablespoon of butter. Then add curry, stir for about a minute. Then add currants, apples, and juice. Salt to taste. Stir until liquid is absorbed.

I cut squash into quarters and cleaned out the seeds. The recipe calls for acorn squash, sliced into 1inch rounds. Slicing winter squash into that many pieces sounded dangerous, so I stuck with quarters. Placed these into a 9x13 baking pan with some water in the bottom.

Spooned the apple mixture into the quarters. Covered with foil. Baked for one hour at 350degrees.

By this time, we were starving and ate something different for dinner, so I scooped out the squash into a casserole dish and saved it for later.

When I reheated my portion the next day, I added a little more butter which helped smooth out some of the acidity. Bert added cinnamon to his quarter and really liked it that way.

I figure about 30g of carb per quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment