Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Mid-week #2

Tonight I prepared the Swiss chard. I pulled it out of the fridge. The leaves were exceptionally soft and wilted. I wasn't sure if I could revive them, or if they were even edible. I had read somewhere that you can freshen your greens by bathing in ice water with some vinegar, so I did that. I chopped some onion and garlic and sauteed with the Swiss Chard stems. I read somewhere that the stems are tougher so need to be cooked longer than the greens. I was working solo with limited space so everything was cooking while I remembered I needed to start the rice and slice the Swiss chard leaves. The onion and stems were starting to burn just as Bert came home and the first thing I said to him was "I need some help here!" I didn't even give him a chance to tell me how hot it was outside. With the spare hand, I was able to slice the chard and put that with the stems. He finished stirring that while I prepared the chicken and turned off the rice before it burned in the pot.  Not easy!

I tasted the chard and it tasted too much like burned garlic. I sprinkled some lemon juice on it to see if that would help.

Bert said the garlic was a bit much, but overall the chard was not bad.
I added some fennel greens to my rice, which didn't really add much flavor, so maybe I should have cooked it with the rice the last few minutes of cooking (if I catch the rice in that time frame).

We finished the chard with better success than last time. Tomorrow the kale or the zucchini!

No comments:

Post a Comment