Saturday, August 9, 2014

Zucchini muffins

I am almost done with the box from last week.
Last night I made pasta. I stir fried the zucchini, then decided to add Italian style stewed tomatoes, and 1 cup white kidney beans. This made enough for two nights. I cut up all my cucumbers for the beach tomorrow and hope they are all eaten.

Tonight I made zucchini muffins. I followed the recipe my mom gave me for zucchini bread. Divided it in half since I didn't need two loaves of bread. I made 12, 1/2 cup muffins.  I had one rather large, but not extra large zucchini. I grated it, then tried to squeeze out the extra water. I used canola oil instead of "Crisco oil" not sure if that is what she meant by Crisco oil or if she meant the thick white paste-like oil. The original recipe called for three eggs, so I used 1 egg and 1 egg white figuring that was about half an egg. There were no instructions about greasing the pan, but I did anyways. I used my canola oil Misto in each cup then wiped up the extra around the edges and the large drops in the middle. Baked at 350 for about 25minutes and they came out golden brown. Can't wait to taste! So far it looks like it was a good idea to grease the pan. After they cooled for a few minutes, I removed the muffins to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Also, I bought organic cotton produce bags to use instead of plastic when we go to the store and for storage at home. Amazon and reviewers of these cotton sacks suggested they could be used for storing lettuce and "keeps lettuce leaves fresh for a long time." Umm, compared to what? We'll just have to wait and see! When I received the bags I washed them in the laundry with cold water, then air dried all but the one I wanted to use for lettuce. The bag was damp, as suggested on the website, and I placed my lettuce leaves in the bag. Today, about two days later the bag was getting dry and the leaves a little wilted, so I wet the bag again. We'll see how the leaves look tomorrow. The leaves were certainly edible today, and I might have been able to revive them a little with a rinse in vinegar/water.


Things left to use
1 bunch kale
1 bunch arugula
A few leaves of red leaf lettuce

And I finished all the pickles, mine and my mom's! My mom's pickles are so much better than the ones I made. I will need to try her recipe for real next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment