Saturday, December 5, 2015

Parmesean Broccoli Balls

I have made this recipe three times now and believe it or not I have not recorded the process. This is unfortunate because I am making this recipe now based on my notes from my printed recipe card and the balls aren't turning out how I expected.
Let's start with the bones of the recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/41116/parmesan-broccoli-balls/

This time I used:
1 large head of fresh broccoli
1/2 box of Trader Joes Cornbread Stuffing Mix
3/4 cup grated parmesan/Romano cheese
1 medium onion
5 eggs
3/4 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

I steamed the broccoli florets for 5 minutes in my basket steamer. That was perfect. I sauteed the onion with some butter and onion to brown them a little, which I think works well for this recipe. I melted the butter in a saucepan and then added it to the egg, after which I realized I might have cooked some of the egg, so next time add the butter to the large mix, maybe even after the egg has been stirred in. I mixed everything together and put it in the fridge overnight.

The next day, I made them into 1 inch balls and put 20 of them on a large baking sheet. They went into the oven at 350 degrees for 20minutes. That was pretty perfect for cooking them, but at this point I saw that my balls were falling apart! They also stuck to the pan. To the second half of my ingredients I added 2 more eggs to help with binding and put it back in the fridge for one hour.

I baked the second batch on parchment paper. This was a good idea. I feel that the second batch was a little too wet, so maybe use 6 or 7 eggs for the whole batch?

No comments:

Post a Comment