Sunday, October 19, 2014

Potato Leek Soup

Our summer CSA may be over, but I am still cooking up recipes in the kitchen. Today was soup.

Potato Leek Soup
1 Leek, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 TBS butter and 1 TBS olive oil
8 TJ baby Dutch potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 cups low sodium chicken stock
2 cups milk, 1%
1 bunch kale, stems removed and cut into small pieces
Salt
Peppercorn
Thyme
4 pieces bacon, cooked, chopped
I sauteed the leek with the butter and oil blend in my Dutch oven. Then added the potato and enough stock to cover the potatoes. Simmered until potatoes were tender. Then I transferred to my little pitcher for my hand blender. I puréed most of the soup in two batches. Then added milk. I added salt, ground peppercorn and tasted....I didn't taste much. So, I decided to add some thyme, dried and fresh. And I still didn't taste much so I added the kale, and more salt and peppercorn.  Then I added the bacon. I let simmer for 15minutes.

Bert liked the soup. I still didn't taste much flavor, so added a bunch of pepper once I served it. The pepper helped some. We'll see how it reheats.

The cabbage did not reheat well at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment